Friday, March 7, 2014

Bathing in the Beauty of Bath

I'm finally posting this, even though it happened a while ago!

A few weeks ago, I headed to the city of Bath for a day trip with my friends Alexandra and Richie. 


This is them! (Posing with the typical English phone booth-turned ATM, of course!)


Our day began with a visit to the Roman Baths. We also walked through the Pump Room, but did not get a chance to have tea there.


Here's a layout of how the Baths would have looked to the Romans.


My first photo outside of the windows. This is the Great Bath, the one that most people typically see on photos.


And when you turn around, you get a glimpse of Bath Abbey!


Here's a picture of a soldier with the Abbey in the background. 


Once you get past the Great Bath, you get to go into a Museum type of thing, where they have artifacts from Roman times. These were coins that had been thrown into the Baths as an offering.


People would even throw in things such as this, to offer to the gods.


I actually remembered to get a picture of myself in front of the Great Bath. I'm sorry about my hair- it was windy that day!


The Great Bath at the same level.


Me posing with the Roman Soldier that was wandering around. I didn't know what to do, so I just copied him. When I asked if I could get a picture with him, he said, "Sure! I love portraits." He's good at keeping in character.


Just an awesome reflection on the Bath waters.


This was one of the indoor pools. I believe this one was filled with cold water.


We even got to taste the waters! And it was disgusting!


Next, we went to Bath Abbey. We only had a few minutes in there, as a service was starting soon. But we got as many pictures as we could!


The inside of the Abbey.


They had a mirror sitting there, so that you could look at the ceiling without craning your neck. It was helpful!


After lunch, we stopped at the Jane Austen Centre. The perfect place for someone in love with her novels!


A creepy-looking Jane greeted us as we walked in.


After a museum with information about Jane's life, especially in Bath, they had a dress up area. It was awesome! Here's Alexandra and I posing with a Regency gentleman.


And here's Richie acting out the part of a Regency gentleman. It took a lot of convincing to get him to do this!


If any of you have seen the film Persuasion, this is the actual dress worn in the film.


We got a picture with the doorman on our way out.


Our next stop was the Fashion Museum.


The current special display was the Georgian time period. Here's a couple dresses from then.


And this is a modern Georgian dress. The other modern outfits were way stranger.


Next they had a dress up area, but I didn't get any pictures. Here's a few of my favorite dresses from the rest of the Museum.



I believe they said these dresses were designed for Princess Diana. But I could be wrong.


The mannequins must all have sore backs from the angle they are leaning.


This is the "Dress of the Year." I don't know how it is even considered a dress!


We stopped outside the Royal Cresent to take a few pictures after the Fashion Museum. Sadly, we didn't get a chance to go inside.


We stopped in a bookstore along our walk. It was huge! I sneakily snapped a few shots inside.


We also stopped inside a random art Gallery. The lady's work was amazing!


Finally, we stopped at Pulteney Bridge. For those of you who have seen Les Miserables, this is the bridge where they filmed Javert's suicide (same water, the bridge was CGI'd in).



The sunset was one of the best I've ever seen. This is Bath Abbey again in the foreground.



We stopped at Sally Lunn's to pick up a bun for Alexandra.


Finally, we ended our day by eating at Giraffe. It was delicious! The whole day was really fun and I got to see a lot of beautiful sights (and dress up!). I hope you enjoyed reading and got a glimpse of the beauty I get to see while in England!

No comments:

Post a Comment