Tuesday, April 8, 2014

British Landscape Field Trip #2: Hampton Court Palace

For my program's second field trip, we went to Hampton Court Palace. The palace was beautiful, the grounds were beautiful, and then it rained. Luckily, it wasn't until after we had seen the gardens (for the most part). The Palace was built by Cardinal Wosley, and used by Henry VIII (with his multiple wives). Here's some pictures of my day:



The Fountain Court. This fountain used to have wine flowing out of it.


The King's Chocolate. I tried some and it was disgusting! It was too spicy for my liking.


We even met Henry VIII. He was fascinated by us female scholars from the Spanish Colonies, as the US was known.


Perhaps my favorite place in the Palace!



The ceiling of the Great Hall.


The Queen's Staircase.


Astronomical Clock.


Guns. Guns everywhere. And knives. Who knew they could be decorations?


The Gallery, where Alexandra and I were tempted to waltz into.


My favorite place again.


The King's Loo!


As Oxford Scholars, we had to recreate the statues. I mean, isn't that what scholars do?


The view from the Gardens.


And again.


There were lots of beautiful gardens behind the Palace.



Self-explanatory.



As we were waiting for our group, we decided to take some pictures with the statues around the Fountain Court.







These are 20th century recreations, but I loved the entrance statues! One of them (not these two) is a lion with his tongue stuck out. 

It was a fun trip, besides the rain, and I learned a lot about Henry VIII and his wives. As a creepy voice behind the stairwell kept saying as we walked through:

"Divorced, Beheaded, Died. Divorced, Beheaded, Survived." 

A little rhyme to remember Henry VIII wives and how he got them out of his life.

I hope you enjoyed hearing about my trip. Next up: Portchester!

No comments:

Post a Comment