Thursday, May 1, 2014

Alone in London

I decided to head to London for a day alone on my last weekend in Oxford. I made it onto the bus by 7:35 am (I was proud of myself), and got into London around 9:30. I started out my trip by going to Buckingham Palace again.



I didn't actually see this, because I didn't want to wait two hours. It would have been awesome though!


Queen Victoria Statue.


The first of many awkward, "Can you please take my picture? Thank you!"


The London Marathon was the next day, so a bunch of streets were closed and decorated.


I walked through a park, heading toward Big Ben. I had to get ice cream of course!


My best telephone booth picture by far.


Walking past Big Ben, I headed to Westminster Cathedral. I came back later in the day for an Evensong service, so that I could get in for free.



Big Ben and the London Eye.


Big Ben and Houses of Parliament. They were filming a movie in the courtyard.


Me in front of the London Eye.


Next, after a cup of coffee, I headed to the Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery, and the National Portrait Gallery. I have to say, pictures get a little boring after a while. I tried to see most of them, but I think I failed at this.


Next stop, taking the Underground to the Natural History Museum. I waited in line for 45 minutes, but the cute stuffed mammals inside were worth it!


For example, these things.


And this cheetah.


After seeing a bunch of dead wombats, I have decided that I want one as a pet.


Inside the museum.


When I went back to Westminster Cathedral, I snapped this picture inside before I heard that photography wasn't allowed.


Next to St. Paul's Cathedral. By this time, I was just casually strolling around, not worried about making it everywhere.


And a walk across Millennium Bridge to Shakespeare's Globe.



The Globe!


I walked back to the other side of the river, crossing over London Bridge. All I was thinking was "London Bridge is falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down..."


Back to the Tower of London for the 2nd time this term!


I rewarded myself with Starbucks. My barrista was super nice!


Me with Tower Bridge.




Final stop: King's Cross Station. I waited in line for 30 minutes for this picture (some stranger took it), but it was fun and enjoyable. Typical Harry Potter fan picture.

I headed home after the station, making it back around 10 pm. It was a full day, filled with lots of beautiful sites and fascinating information. I feel as though I mastered the Underground and would be confident going back to London alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment